Article I – Name
Bell View Elementary School Community Council (SCC)
Article II – Laws
All Utah School Community Councils function under the following laws and statutes:
Utah Code Ann.
- §52-4-1, et seq.
Utah Administrative Code
- Title 52; Chapter 04 – Open and Public Meetings Act
- R277-477-1, et seq.
- R277-491-1, et seq.
Canyons School District Policy
- Section: K-School Community-Home Relations; School Community Councils; File No.KCE
Article III – Standing Rules
- The SCC must have at least two more parent/guardian members than school staff members, including the principal.
- The council will have 6-12 members annually.
- Members, parent and employee, have an expectation of attendance.
- If for some reason a member cannot attend, they need to notify the chairman ahead of time to be excused.
- Missing three meetings during a given school year may be grounds for the respective member (parent or employee) to be removed and/or replaced by the council.
- A quorum is defined as a qualified majority.
- A majority of the members of a school community council is a quorum for the transaction of business.
- The action of a majority of the members of a quorum if the action of the school community council.
- The Bell View Elementary School Community Council will meet at least seven times annually unless other meetings are necessary. The majority of the council has to agree to cancel a meeting.
- All meetings will be conducted using Robert’s Rules of Order.
- Subcommittees may be established or ceased by a majority vote of the council.
- Each subcommittee has to be chaired by at least one elected school community council member, which will report monthly on the committee’s progress.
- Other SCC members may serve on a committee.
- Additional community members, both employee and parent, that are not elected SCC members may serve on any subcommittee.
- Required positions of the council will include:
- Vice Chair
- Must be an elected member of the council.
- Other positions to be considered by membership include:
- May be an elected member of the board.
- If appointed, membership needs to approve by majority vote.
- PTA Liaison
- May be an elected parent member of the committee, or
- An ex-officio non-voting member of PTA’s choosing.
- Counselor – required as employee member under Comprehensive Guidance Plan
- Who serves from counseling is up to faculty vote.
- Representatives from counseling office are welcome to attend as ex-officio, non-voting members if not voted on by employee membership.
- Guests may share appropriate input on subjects that fall under the School Community Council purview. The items that are appropriate for discussion by School Community Councils include, but are not limited to:
- School Improvement Plan
- School LAND Trust Plan
- Attendance Plan
- TSSA Plan
- Assistance in the development of the Staff Professional Development Plan
- Academic needs of the school, with direction to determine the greatest academic need of the school for LAND Trust Plan expenditures.
- Parent/School communication and involvement.
- Items not to be discussed by the School Community Council include:
- Any personnel issues
- Individual student information
- For a patron to bring a topic to the School Community Council they must contact the Council President and ask to be added to the agenda. An individual will be given 3 minutes to present. A group will be given 5 minutes to present. The Council, as a body, may then choose to add the topic to an agenda for future discussion. The School Community Council, as a whole, may invite any person/group to make a longer presentation if desired.